Saturday, November 9, 2013

Sneek Peak

It's definitely been awhile.  To cut a long story short, this is what happens when you opt for a lot of challenging courses.  I've had zero time to create art unless I need to for a course (which is kind of sad, I will admit).  I'm trying to take more initiative and get my creative butt in gear to make more, and hopefully I'll crank out a few sewing projects once winter break comes (in December).

I drew a simple sketch for something I'm planning to do.  No telling when I'll be able to execute it, but it seems pretty easy . . .

I've recently starting embroidery, which is quickly becoming a favorite hobby of mine.  It's soothing and not very challenging, even though I don't use a hoop (yes, how dare I!)  I've also had a recent obsession with vintage photographs involving the moon (so much that I have a single Pinterest board dedicated to them), so this project will incorporate both of those things.

 

It's going to be a black cape with stars embroidered at the bottom and a cresent moon toward one of the shoulders.  I'm unsure about the length of the cape (not quite elbow length, elbow length, or more towards the wrists?) but the initial construction should be a breeze.  The embroidery floss will mostly likely be gold or white.  I would imagine that before I sew the panels together to create the cape, I'd embroider the design on the front panel.  And the stars would have better spacing in between them and would be of a consistent size (probably smaller than they are in the sketch) but after all this is a preliminary vision.

For someone who hasn't embroidered too much, this is quite the leap.  I will admit it's a big flaw of mine, to become impatient with learning something and to jump to an ambitious goal.  However, I have done enough practice with embroidery that I feel like this wouldn't be too hard of an attempt.

Do any of you embroider?  I'd like to know.

-- Klaude

4 comments:

  1. I love embroidery - just like knitting, it's a nice calming thing to do in the evenings. My favourite stitch is satin stitch - but you really do need a hoop, so you might not care for it. A black cape with the moon and stars sounds like a beautiful project! And why not have an ambitious goal - you're more like to finish something you're excited about, even if it is a bit more difficult. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might be why I like to pursue more ambitious projects -- finishing them feels very accomplishing. And satisfying. I've been looking through some old pictures of some of my old sewing projects -- that I was proud of when I was 11 or so, when I got into sewing -- and how much I progressed over the years. That's the exciting bit, even if I still have more to learn and do.

      Delete
  2. Well this is cool! I used to do straight stitch embroidery on samplers as a kid, I did one of my dead donkey surrounded by carrots and vegetables in donkey heaven when I was a little kid. I did also have funerals and write epitaphs for my dead mice. Not a weird little kid at all! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had funerals for some of my toys growing up, I can agree with the odd kid part as well. I think I had a very basic stitching kit thing when I was younger, it was a plastic loom that came with a large plastic needle and only pink, red, and blue yarn.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can but with the commitments I have on my plate I cannot always guarantee a speedy reply.