Sunday, May 5, 2013

DIY Skele Pants



While I do not have anything against baggy pants (PJs not included), sometimes I buy something that begs to be altered.  I went to the local thrift store awhile ago and purchased some white pants -- they were my size, but they were quite boxy and baggy when I tried them on at home after they went through the wash.

So . . . my fabric scissors, white thread, and needle came to the rescue.

Here's a "before" photo:



No, they aren't Capri pants or yoga pants.  I have stubby short legs, alright?  Shhhh.

Anywhooo, I turned them inside out and tried them on.  I then took pins and pinned down where I wanted to slim the pants.  I took off the pants and folded them over to make sure the pinned areas matched up.  As an extra resource, I put my favorite pair of skinny jeans over the pants:



 I did not chop off the extra fabric quite yet, just in case I goofed up with my pinning/sewing.  (However, I tried on the pants after sewing and they fit quite nicely!)  Since I was happy with what was sewn, I made another row of stitching just for the sake of durability.  Skinnier pants will have a lot more stress on the seams.



Of course, I could have stopped right here.  But no!  

I took out some black acrylic paint, mixed it with a little pit of water, and then I got down to some business: 



And then, the finished project:



I have a feeling that I'll be wearing these a lot in the future.

-- Klaude

4 comments:

  1. hey, super cool pant ! I love the idea of the bones !
    the next time, if you want to go faster, think about curving (carving ? I'm not sure of the word) a potatoe to make you a stamp !

    anyway, it's really funny !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! It would be more consistent with the stamp, however I wanted for there to be some imperfection ;-) But I will keep that in mind for future projects, thanks for the suggestion. We have a lot of potatoes in my house at any given time.

      Delete
  2. When I was around 13 or so my mother would alter my pants for me like this. Very cute with the bones! Ohhh this gives me an idea to do stitch designs on some pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! Sounds like you have a cool mum, too, for doing that for you. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I'll try to get back to you as soon as I can but with the commitments I have on my plate I cannot always guarantee a speedy reply.